The Process from Design to Delivery
The New Customer Process is an easy step-by-step-system. All that is required is the following:
Step 1 - Submit your design or have Underwood assist in your design
A) Submit your part design by fax or electronic file (2D or 3D)
- Various file formats – PRT, IGES, DWG, DXF, STL, PDF and hard copies
B) Underwood can assist in part design
- Underwood will meet with you to determine your needs
- We will use Pro-E 3D software and Auto Cad 2D software to lay out the design
- We will continue to work with you through meetings and correspondence until you approve the final design
Step 2 - From the 3D file, we will produce a prototype part for initial review
- Unlimited sample quantities available
- Prototype samples come in three different forms, your choice of HSM (high speed machining), SLA (stereo lithography apparatus), SLS (selective laser sintering).
- Quick one week lead times
Step 3 - You tell us your special requirements for the finished product and we can customize the mold to produce the best quality part. Special requirements may include but are not limited to:
- Cavitation requirements based on EAU (estimated annual usage)
- Resin required (See a representative list of resins) – mold sprue and gate design
- Special tolerances to be held on part dimensions
- Various steel options for mold fabrication
Step 4 - Now you are ready to receive our quote on the mold fabrication and piece part price.
- Less than five day lead time to receive formal quote
- Quote is good for 30 days
Step 5 - You have decided to award Underwood the project! The remaining steps are a breeze!
- Weekly status reports will be provided until tool is complete
- First shot samples will be submitted according to promised time-lines
- First article inspection report will be available for your review
Step 6 - You have approved the sample parts and inspection data. It's smooth sailing from here on!
- Mold is released to production
- Maintenance schedule is generated and entered into our system for the mold
- Master process set up sheets are approved and documented
Step 7 - What if you realize there is an engineering change required? Don't worry, it's not too late!
- Our team can assist in any design changes to the mold
- Modifications to the mold are quoted and completed promptly
- And it is back to step six with re-sampling of the revised parts
Step 8 - You do not have to worry about the quality of your products because our quality department will implement customized Operating Standards for your product which includes:
- All critical dimensions and visual criteria from start-up to final inspection
- Packaging criteria
- Material specification
- Secondary Operation requirements if needed, (hot stamping, tapping, assembly, etc.)
Step 9 -
Need a history on how your product is running? Underwood maintains the following documentation per our ISO 9001:2000 certification requirements:
- First article reports maintained indefinitely
- In-process inspection reports retained for a minimum of two years unless otherwise specified by you.
- Control plans, FMEA's and Capability studies performed upon request
- Internal audits and registrar audits verify that our quality management system maintains its integrity for continuous improvement.
- Our various inspection equipment is maintained on a frequent calibration schedule (Optical comparator, CMM, Spectrophotometer color meter, Micrometers, Caliper, gage blocks and pins and other metrology inspection equipment
Step 10 -
Rest assured knowing that your product has been properly packaged and protected to arrive to your facility safe and sound
- Product is packaged, palletized and shrink wrapped according to your requirements
- Product is clearly labeled and identified with part number, description, quantity per box and internal lot number for traceability
- Product is staged in a climate-protected environment until ready to ship
- Product is shipped via commercial carrier of your choosing